2014 – Green Drill Cycle
The purpose of Children's Bible Drill is to help children increase in knowledge of the Bible, develop skills to effectively handle the Bible and begin developing memory skills.
Children who are classified by their church as fourth, fifth or sixth graders for the church year are eligible to participate. Children are encouraged to participate in discipleship ministries at their church.
Materials to be Learned
- Learn the names of the books of the Bible in the proper order and be able to locate them in the Bible.
- Memorize verses and references printed on the Children's Bible Drill cards. Cards are available from LifeWay Christian Resources for King James Version and Holman Christian Standard. Printable NIV, KJV and HCSB Bible Drill Cards are available for download.
- Memorize the titles and references of key passages printed on the Bible Drill cards and be able to locate the references in the Bible.
Types of Drills
Quotation Drill - 6 calls (Bible not used)
References are taken from the verses on the Children's Bible Drill card. The leader gives the reference (example: "Genesis 1:31"). If the participant knows the verse, he steps forward one step on the call "Start," prepared to quote the verse as it is stated on the Children's Bible Drill card and give the reference.
Completion Drill - 6 calls (Bible not used)
References are taken from the verses on the Children's Bible Drill card. The leader quotes the part of the verse that is underlined (example: "Honour thy father..."). If the participant can complete the verse, he steps forward one step on the call "Start," prepared to quote the verse as it is stated on the Children's Bible Drill card and give the reference.
Book Drill - 6 calls (Bible used)
Any book in the Bible may be used. The leader calls a book of the Bible. After the call "Start" is given, the participant finds any page in the book called by the leader, places an index finger on the page, steps forward, prepared to name the book preceding the one called, the book called and the book following the one called (example: Exodus: "Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus").
Key Passage Drill - 6 calls (Bible used)
Only the key passage listed on the Children's Bible Drill card will be used. The leader gives the reference by stating the subject or title given to the passage (example: "The Resurrection of Jesus"). The participant finds Matthew 28, places his index finger on any portion of the passage and steps forward. When called upon, the participant will state the title of the key passage and the reference. The leader will designate one of more verses to be read aloud by the participant.
Judges mark on a score sheet. Click here for the CSBC score sheet. Only one mistake may be scored for a participant on a single call. The types of mistakes and a corresponding letter or letters are reflected on the scoring sheet. The number of correct responses is reported to the children. Mistakes include:
- Child fails to step out within 10 seconds.
- Child gives incorrect response. This includes any child who raises his/her hand, indicating an error.
- Child fails to stand straight or keep eyes on the drill caller until the command "Start" is given.
- When the Bible is used, the child steps forward before the index finger is on the correct response.
- Child fails to handle the Bible according to instructions or obviously misuses the Bible. The Bible should be held parallel to the floor with one hand flat on the top and one hand flat on the bottom with no fingers extending over the edges.
Church drills should be conducted before a group of church members on or before March 16, 2014 to allow time before the associational drill. Children with 12 or more correct responses receive a "Church Winner" seal and advance to the associational drill. Children with fewer than 12 correct responses may receive a "Church Driller" seal. Please send each participant's name, school grade, home telephone number with area code, church name and church address to the association drill director (usually the associational Discipleship Training director) by March 21, 2014. In February, confirm that the association is planning to provide an association Bible drill. In the event that the association is not providing an associational drill, immediately contact the state Bible Drill office. Click here to order seals (please enter the number of seals you need and indicate if the seals are for a church or association in the comment space of the email form).
Associations are encouraged to hold a Children's Bible Drill on or before March 29, 2014. Children must participate in the associational drill of the local association to advance to the State Bible Drill Finals. Children with 16 or more correct responses receive an "Associational Winner" seal and advance to the State Bible Drill Finals. Children with fewer than 16 correct responses may receive an "Associational Driller" seal. After the association drill, please send each participant's name, school grade, and home telephone number with area code, church name and church address to the Bible Drill office. Please indicate which children will advance to the state drill level. If an association fails to provide an associational drill, please contact the State Bible Drill office by March 17, 2014 to make other arrangements for the association drill.
Note: The associational discipleship training director (or designated person):
- Sends a completed associational drill report sheet of the name, address, school grade, home telephone number with area code, church name and church address for each associational winner to the Bible Drill office by April 1, 2014 to qualify for the State Bible Drill. Click here to order seals (please enter the number of seals you need and indicate if the seals are for a church or association in the comment space of the email form).
The State Bible Drill Finals will be April 12, 2014 at First Chinese Baptist Church, Los Angeles. Children with 20 or more correct responses receive a "State Finals Winner" seal. Children with fewer than 20 correct responses receive a "State Finals Participant" seal. Those with a perfect score will receive a "State Winner Perfect" seal.
Conducting the Drill
Before the drill, the leader should type out all commands, verses and references to be used. All responses should be "word perfect" from the Drill Bible, including references. Stumbling over words is not a mistake since participants have not had the opportunity to practice pronouncing words prior to the drill. A practice call should be given before each section of the drill followed by a chance for participants and judges to clarify rules.
- LifeWay Christian Resources sells KJV or HCSB Drill Bibles, Green Cycle Verse Cards in KJV and HCSB, and other drill resources. To order Bibles or other Bible Drill resources call 1.800.458.2772. HCSB Drill Bible ISBN: 1433603648 and KJV Drill Bible ISBN: 0879816001. For other LifeWay Bible Drill resources click here to view and order materials or call 1.800.458.2772.
- Biblica Direct sells the NIV Worship Edition Bible, #200172- Burgundy cover is the recommended Bible. Order by calling 1.800.524.1588.
- The California Southern Baptist Convention Bible Drill Website provides Bible drill cards, certificates and score sheets for churches and associations.
- Click here to order seals (please enter the number of seals you need and indicate if the seals are for a church or association in the comment space of the email form).
- Downloadable items:
Bible Drill Score Sheet
Bible Drill Certificates
NIV Bible Drill Card – Color
NIV Bible Drill Card – Black & White
HCSB Bible Drill Card – Color
HCSB Bible Drill Card - Black & White
KJV Bible Drill Card - Color
KJV Bible Drill Card - Black & White
Note: To print Bible Drill Card, print on a single sheet of paper and fold in half or print two-up on card stock front and back.
Steps to Bible Drill in Your Church
Bible Drill Leader
- Select a time for training sessions. (Fall)
- Secure additional leaders if needed. (Fall)
- Select a Church Drill date and put it on the church calendar. (Fall)
- Contact the associational office to secure the Associational Bible Drill date and put it on the church calendar. (Fall)
- Determine the date and location of the State Drill and put the dates on the church calendar. (Fall)
- Decide if your children will use the KJV, NIV or Bible translation. (Fall)
- Order Bibles, teaching resources and awards. (Fall)
- Secure Bible Drill Cards for your children – available through LifeWay Christian Resources. (Fall)
- Promote and enlist participation by children. (Fall)
- Begin Bible Drill training/practice. (Fall)
- Continue Bible Drill training/practice. (Winter)
- Secure leadership for your Church Drill – a caller, timekeeper (secure a stopwatch) and 3 judges. (Winter)
- Conduct your Church Drill. (Spring)
- Attend the Association Drill with your Church Drill winners. (Spring)
- Attend State Children’s Bible Drill Finals with your Association Drill winners.
- Conduct a church recognition ceremony for all your church’s Bible Drill participants and winners. (Spring)
California Southern Baptist Convention
Bible Drill Office
559.229.9533, ext. 243
E-mail Veronica Morales