To heighten missions awareness and interest, plan a small group or family event in which you “visit” another country for an evening. Choose a country where you know missionaries serve.
From the Missionary:
If you can contact the missionary ahead of time, ask them to give you some information:
- about the country where they serve
- cultural differences the group might find interesting
- a favorite food you can fix for the event
- prayer requests you can talk about
- the greatest challenge they face in their work
For the Evening:
- Go to the public library and use children’s books about the country you’ve chosen. Create some decorations, such as a flag, placemats, etc.
- Prepare one or two dishes that are representative of the country. The library is a great place to find international recipes that are easy to fix, and most ingredients can be found in the international section of your grocery store. Online sources will provide great information too!
- Woman’s Missionary Union WorldCrafts is a great source for handcrafted items by women around the world. The Website has recipes you might find useful (www.wmu.com/worldcraftsvillage).
- California WMU/Women’s Ministries has produced “30 Days of Missions” which is downloadable at www.csbc.com/thecuttingedge/30daysofmissions
- Plan some type of learning experience involving the language spoken or cultural facts. A game or something similar can involve all ages.
- Use the prayer requests you have found in reading or from the missionary and put them on cards so each person can take one with them.
- At the end of the evening, plan to write a letter, send a card or e-mail thanking the missionary for their service and to tell them you will continue to pray for them. They may have a newsletter and can add you to their mailing list for future prayer requests and ministry results.
Keep the evening’s activities simple. Invite a small group or one other family to join yours. Focus on the importance of supporting missionaries with your prayers and gifts to special mission offerings.