Be involved in missions this winter
How to be involved in missions this winter:
- Using the book Party with a Purpose (available online at www.wmustore.com) have a party for your neighborhood! You may choose to focus just on the children on your block or invite the entire family. This volume gives invitation, decoration, menu, and game ideas for creating an event with a purpose – sharing Christ with others.
- Winter months mean that homeless and needy individuals need coats, hats, and gloves. Wrap a large box and place in a prominent location in your church. Encourage church members to donate items for all ages and sizes. Deliver the collected winter items to a homeless or family shelter.
- If you live near a resort area that caters to winter visitors for skiing, etc., contact missionaries to find out what supplies they need or what help they may need for after-school or weekend projects. This might involved collecting craft items, providing Bible storytellers, or providing hot chocolate for a community event.
- Use February to host a valentine banquet or similar event to show your love and concern for people from other countries. Hearts, flowers, and candy are natural decorations for any such event. For information about different people groups in your zip code, visit www.peoplegroups.info
- Ask children and youth to come together for a Bake Fest. Bake and plate dozens of cookies to distribute to the families living near your church. Include a Bible or a copy of the Jesus video along with information about your church’s activities.
- Provide a game party for a local women’s crisis shelter. Remember that when women and children leave abusive situations, they often leave with nothing more than the clothes they are wearing. Shelters can be lonely and boring so giving box games can provide a much-needed diversion. Check to see if you can provide cookies and punch for special refreshments.
Last Published: March 28, 2009 12:03 AM