Here are 10 ways to involve preschoolers in mission and ministry projects. Of course, they’ll need you, the adults, to help them become involved! Preschoolers can understand that God loves them and the world. They can grasp the concept that God wants everyone to know about Jesus. Sing “Jesus Loves the Little Children” with them as you prepare for the ministry project.
- Prepare a welcome basket for new families in your neighborhood. Along with home-baked cookies, include an invitation to a Bible study or worship service or special outreach event at your church.
- Make and send encouragement cards, prayer cards and care packages to military personnel serving around the world, particularly in war-torn countries.
- Participate with your church and family in Christmas in August. Information about this project can be found in Mission Leaders magazine published by Woman’s Missionary Union (www.wmu.com).
- Pick flowers from your yard and arrange in a vase for shut-ins or senior citizens in your neighborhood.
- Allow your preschooler to make and send get well cards for those who are ill in your church or neighborhood.
- Be part of the Samaritan’s Purse Christmas shoe box project. Collect things children would enjoy or a Christmas gift such as balls, socks, crayons, coloring books, etc. Boxes need to be ready by November.
- Lead preschoolers to make Bible thought bookmarks. Deliver to hospitals or nursing homes.
- Label water bottles with scripture verse sharing God’s love and contact information about your church. Distribute the water free at local festivals, parades or fairs.
- Encourage preschoolers to give to mission offerings such as the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering for International Missions and the Annie Armstrong Easter Offering for North America.
- Lead preschoolers and children in your church to participate in Children’s Ministry Day. This annual event is sponsored by national Woman’s Missionary Union. (www.childrensmissions.com).
Preschoolers learn best from our example! Pray for missionaries regularly in your family and do whatever God leads you to do to reach out to others with God’s love.
Submitted by June Jensen, Preschool Missions Education Consultant