Count the Cost was developed by California Southern Baptist Convention Executive Director Bill Agee to assist healthy churches, churches needing revitalization, and new church plants.
The process is based on Luke 14:28: "For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it ... ."
Benefits to Churches
Count the Cost helps churches get ahead by providing a glimpse into the future, showing potential dangers and helping map out a plan to achieve the vision. By using Count the Cost, a church will not only know what they are starting with and what they hope to end with, but they also see what the middle looks like, according to Agee. "If you know what the middle looks like, the entire church planting or revitalization process is easier."
Areas covered by Count the Cost include determining the current reality of the church, dreaming where the church could be in five years, a month-by-month plan to get to that dream, and consulting to address the first "rock" keeping the congregation from growing.
Two of the greatest deliverables from completing a "Count the Cost" plan are:
- A month-to-month breakdown of where God can take you on the journey.
- A growth plan, based on projections, detailing how many relationships must be established and when, and how many church leaders need to be trained for service and when.
Agee noted Count the Cost is comprehensive so "nothing catches you by surprise; you can see the numbers from start to finish."
In January 2019 Count the Cost Level 2 workshops were added to the process, which explore issues that can wreck church ministries and help chart a course to navigate through or avoid them.
Upcoming CTC Workshops
|October 11-12||Kern County Association||2|
|November 1||Mother Lode Association||1|
|November 2||Mother Lode Association||1|
The Count the Cost Workshop is built around the theme of “Getting Started Well With Count the Cost.” Topics to be covered are:
- Why Count the Cost?
- Understanding Count the Cost and the data needed
- Developing an outreach strategy
- Establishing an effective leadership plan
- How the mighty fall
- Joining a Count the Cost Network
Count the Cost Level 2 (CTC2) is built around the theme, "Things that Will Sink Your Ship."
- Pure Leadership (personal purity)
- Legal Issues (with Charlie Cutler from Church West Insurance)
- Developing a Prayer Culture
- Church and Personal Finances
- Taking Care of Your Family
- Dealing with People Who Want to Hijack Your Vision
Each workshop is a stand-alone event. It is not necessary to have attended the first Count the Cost in order to attend the Level 2 Workshop. All are welcome at any event.
To start the Count the Cost process with your church, download the information sheet on this page, fill it in and email it to email@example.com. If possible, include a copy of your current budget. All information will be remain confidential.