A monthly Compliance Corner column appears monthly in the California Southern Baptist (CSB) newsjournal of the California Southern Baptist Convention. Find ways to subscribe to the CSB.
The column explores governmental and regulatory issues that confront churches in California. Compliance is not a one-size-fits-all experience. Each church operates in its own way, yet all churches have common responsibilities.
For instance, if churches take on matters such as payroll and provide employees with paychecks and stubs that are not compliant under California law, violations can result in fines of up to $4,000 per employee.
Here are the latest Compliance Corner columns:
- January 2019 - Housing Allowance and Accountable Reimbursement Plan
- February 2019 - Deducting unreimbursed employee business expenses
March 2019 - "Render to Caesar" with tax filing
- April 2019 - (article replaced August 4, 2019) The three reasons why church musicians and most other paid church workers are NOT independent contractors
- May 2019 - Adopting an accountable reimbursement plan
- June 2019 - Mandatory Sexual Harassment Prevention Training
- July 2019 - The consequences of not filing the SI-100
- August, 2019 - "Love" gifts are income
- September, 2019 Churches can offer health insurance as tax-free benefit
- January 2018 - Training to ensure safety for children
- February 2018 - Vision Insurance Coverage
- March 2018 - Appropriate employee classification part 1 (link is to full article)
- April 2018 - Appropriate employee classification part 2 (link is to full article)
- May 2018 - Further explanation about classifying employees
- June 2018 - Necessity for church bylaws
- July 2018 - Developing church budgets - part 1
- August 2018 - Developing church budgets - part 2
- September 2018 - Ensuring adequate coverage with church insurance partners
- October 2018 - The difference between a church employee and volunteer - part 1
- November 2018 - The difference between a church employee and voluntee2 - part 2
- December 2018 - New California laws affect churches as employers
- June 2017 - Unauthorized immigrant compensation
- July 2017 - Fictitious Business Name
- August 2017 - Cell Phone Tower leases
- September 2017 - Churches and lawsuits
- October 2017 - New strategic partners help churches with accounting and insurance
- November 2017 - Worker's Compensation in California
- December 2017 - Personnel Handbook help available
For other compliance issues check here.