I have all the exercise equipment I need: weights, mat, elastic bands, jump-rope, exercise books and tapes. They do no good if I choose not to use them! Prayer is useless if not used. If your prayer life is in a “rut,” try something new. Try a new method, technique, area or approach to revitalize your focus. Take prayer to a new level so you will be energized for service. How? Consider these ideas or others, but choose to do something and use the gift of prayer!
First seek to relax in God. Ask Him for forgiveness. Seek His face and draw near to Him. Ask for His help to be open, transparent and humble. Expect to be enlightened and fulfilled.
Gather your equipment
Sit down with God’s Word. Have a notebook ready to jot down His ideas. Turn off the TV, phones, and put away distractions. Ask a friend for support. Pray with someone new.
- Pray with Psalms and make them your own.
- Write a poem from your heart.
- Get down on your knees or lay prostrate on the floor.
- Go into a dark closet to pray.
- Search for a hidden sin and confess.
- Take up a new person or concern to lift to the Lord.
- Pray for salvation for someone you know who is lost.
- Lift up a missionary or people group.
- Start a notebook of requests, and note answers.
- Compare Bible verses and pray them in your own words.
- List your church staff and leaders and pray for each.
- Pray over the “news.”
- Select a person and list praise and thankfulness for them.
- Use words to describe God’s attributes.
- Praise God out loud.
- Sing at the top of your lungs.